Friday, December 17, 2010

Nut Flour May Save My No Sugar No Starch Life

Yes, I have an overgrown sweet tooth.  In fact, I think much of my weight issues in life are a result of my love of sweets.  I think I've always (okay, mostly always) eaten quite healthy  - I LOVE veggies and have always eaten a TON of them, I generally don't eat fried foods (only on special occasions at restaurants), I don't eat red meat and I drink diet soda and diet drinks -- never sugar filled drinks -- not even juices.  Noodles and other starches have been occasional, but certainly not a lifestyle.  So it was always sort of a mystery to me why I was having weight issues.  During the last 2 years I have discovered a lot about my health and a lot about how my body responds to different foods.  Noodles and white flour directly impact my mood, water retention, my carpel tunnel syndrome, and my weight!  Also, I've learned that my total weakness is sweets.  I had some every day!  And if I didn't have them, I craved them like crazy and would eventually binge on them!   So I've worked hard to squelch my sweet tooth and get rid of it.  To some degree, I've had a lot of success.  In fact, at home, I rarely crave sweets any more.  Restaurants are no problem either.  Although, I will admit, then when I do start to indulge in sweets that I have out at home, I do struggle to stop and only have a moderate amount.  I've had some success with this minimizing this issue, but am still working on it. 

Also, I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but my husband is trim and has a calorie inferno for a metabolism. He is, quite literally, the same size and weight he was 20 years ago, with no effort in any way to maintain that weight.  And his favorite foods are brats, potatoes, chips, and brownies.  He always needs to have some sweet option at home.  Ugh for me.

Anyhow, I have pretty much learned to shun those things in my house for the most part.  Some days I crave them at home, but for the most part, I've conquered that issue in my (home) life.  However, when it comes to holidays and parties, just the thought of all those goodies makes me panic. If I am in a different environment and sweets are out, I find that it is like being reunited with a prior lover that I never "got over."  Those sweets seduce me and call my name, luring me closer and closer until we become close enough to touch -- that chocolate, those cookies, that candy, whatever it is ---- and suddenly I am caught in a passionate "moment" with it. Just like a secret affair, often I find I am sneaking around, finding time to be alone with a treat, looking forward to that time together,eating more and more, but always out of sight of others.  Of course, in the morning, just like a forbidden love affair, I and am regretful of that secret fling and vow I'll never do it again.  But then when we meet again, I find myself in the same cycle, caught in my lover's trance. 

UNTIL NOW!!!!!

I have recently discovered NUT FLOURS; almond flour, peanut flour, hazelnut flour, etc.  These are simply nuts -- ground so fine that they have become a powder.  I have come across and number of recipes that calls for them instead of regular flour.  Mixed with whey protein, they create wonderful tasting cookies, cakes, and other treats.  HALLELUJAH!  I am saved!!!!  Last night I made chocolate chip cookies -- to die for!   And between the nut flour and they whey protein, the sugar substitute (I've discovered Ideal Sweetener, which is my new favorite) and sugar free chocolate chips- they are all protein and no sugar no starch!  Who knew??? 

You can find almond flour at any health food store.  You can also make your own nut flours, although I have heard that it is a tedious thing.   I recently ordered peanut flour from http://www.proteinplusflour.com/ for half the price of the almond flour I bought at Whole Foods.  I bought a case of it and it shipped immediately.  So I now have enough peanut flour to last me, quite literally, the whole year!

So now, instead of falling victim to the parties and treats during the holidays, I just need to bring my own goodies to share to help create my own "no fail environment" that I talked about in my last blog.  The chocolate chip cookies are definitely a keeper.  I still need to make my peanut butter balls (which also uses nut flour.) 

So.....I think I may survive this no sugar no starch life after all.  Even during the holidays.  And parties.  And my in-law's house.  And I'll still respect myself in the morning!  What more could one woman ask for?


To order peanut flour, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment