Tuesday, April 5, 2011

In Search of a Meek and Quiet Spirit

 

1 Peter 3; 3-6

 3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. 4 Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 5 For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, 6 like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.
I don't know when it was, exactly, that it was impressed upon me that I needed to obtain a "meek and quiet" spirit to be a Godly woman.  The topic seriously use to send me spewing!  The term "meekness" has always rubbed me wrong as the image it conjures up for me is of a woman with her head bowed and no personal opinions.  I remember first asking God if I HAD to be this way to be a Godly woman, and then praying for God to MAKE me this woman, even though I felt like it went against every grain of my natural personality.  Didn't God make me boisterous and energetic???  How does this fit in with a "meek and gentle spirit" that he commands we have as Godly women? He never did make me a person to stand with my head bowed and nothing to say.  And secretly, I was relieved.

The verse was pressing on me today.  So I decided to spend some time on the word "meek."  With further study of definition, I have come to learn that society has given us the wrong image of this Christ-like characteristic.  Webster defines meek as  "enduring injury with patience and without resentment" (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/meek)  Suddenly, being "meek" brings upon a whole new image.  This new image was profound - and encouraging. 

After spending time researching and defining "meek", I was curious as to the definition of "quiet."  Of course, the primary use of quiet is "little or no activity", however the number two definition is "gentle and easy going." 

So as I continue to cloak myself in Christ-like character, I am striving to "endure injury with Patience and without resentment."  This definition speaks of our inner beauty, what's happening inside when we've been wronged.  Funny that God would plant this on my heart this week, as I have honestly found myself offended by a few people who I feel I have been unjustifiably wronged by!  Now I'm being told to let it go.  Wow, I think it would be easier to keep my head down my mouth shut but be allowed to spew on the inside. 

And to be "gentle and easy going" - that can be difficult, too, especially when I have a strong opinion about something.  My natural tendency is to share my brilliance and my brilliant discoveries with anyone and everyone.  Honestly, I'm always a little shocked when people don't share the same enthusiasm about something as I do.  Even simple things, like food, or movies, or things that I think are funny.   

Yep, clearly it's time to robe myself in this Christ-like characteristic. 

So on today's search for inner beauty, I am working on my meek and quiet spirit.  Just for the record, this goes against my inner sinner.  But with God, all things are possible, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment