Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Fighting the "Don't Call Me, I'll Call You (After I Meet Goal Weight.....)" Sydrome

I love to fellowship and socialize with friends.  However, when it comes to my weight loss journey, the fastest way to self-sabotage my efforts are to go to a party of any sort.  Truthfully, my will power is attacked at social gatherings, and as I continue to pray about it and improve on it, it is still my biggest weakness when it comes to treating my body like a temple and practicing self control.  I do better to flea from this temptation and not attend social parties. 
However, that being said, I am personally a social being and cannot "starve" myself of fellowship.  Not only that, but we are called to gather together for friendship and support.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12: Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor:  If either of them falls down, one can help the other up.

So how do I cope with this challenge?  First, I've discovered that restaurants can be a breeze to navigate.  I love having a menu of choices.  And almost every restaurant I've ever been to will customize your order.  I order any burger, hold the bun and get a veggie or side salad in place of fries.  Or I order any dinner, hold the rice or potato, and substitute it with veggies, fruit, or salad.    I feel like I've had a real treat and I don't feel deprived at all.  Second, I offer to entertain at my own house where I can control what I serve.  This only happens on special holidays, as entertaining is quite the endeavor and saved for special events. 

The other,  most common thing I find myself doing, is meet a friend for coffee.  I have found that I love a nice cup of coffee (or 2 or 3).  I can order a regular cup of coffee (often with free refills!).  My favorites are the flavored coffees.  I've noticed that since I have largely eliminated sugar from my diet, I can clearly, and sweetly, taste the flavor.  If I can't get a flavored variety, then I get a bold blend coffee and sweeten it and make it a treat by adding sugar free sweeteners (I can bring my own flavored stevia - chocolate raspberry is my favorite - or I can use spenda or a sugar free flavor offered by the coffeehouse). I can sit and visit for, literally, hours, without ever being tempted by any other sweets or other savory downfalls. 

Of course, with that being said, the best activity is going for a walk or shopping at the mall, however, for myself, I  find it's hard to really connect and catch up with my friends in this type of activity.   I would personally prefer a more intimate activity, which, unfortunately, generally includes food.

However, some social events I can't avoid (like Easter at my In-Laws!)   When it comes to this, I remember that this is a lifelong journey and that the big picture and overall lifestyle is the key.  I can't starve myself, socially.    That is not a life I choose to live.  I choose to be joyful and a light to others.   These social gatherings are an opportunity to test my self control in the midst of temptation.  I can't improve it without practicing it.

So.... I refuse to live a "Don't Call Me, I'll Call You After Goal Weight" lifestyle.  However, I'm kinda busy for lunch.  But would you like to get together for coffee sometime?

No comments:

Post a Comment