Thursday, March 17, 2011

Get Your Party On

It's important to me to provide a healthy, safe, stable home, with lots of fun memories and traditions for my children.  The emotionally healthy, safe and stable part is complete through my strong marriage and foundation of faith.   No question that is the best thing I can provide my children.   However, being a second generation full time working mom with 2 toddlers sometimes makes the "create fun memories and traditions" part of my "to do" list, and, to be honest, sometimes falls to the wayside.  Now, the big holidays such as Birthdays, Easter and Christmas are gimmies.  I really don't have a problem with those.  I have lots of things to pull from my own past and traditions that my family gave me to be able to pull from.  However, I want to create fun memories and traditions in our every day life - and this is where my challenge lies.  Not to mention the physically healthy part of this -- in my family, I'm truly going where no woman has ever gone before!

However, with that being said, I have been inspired!  I have a friend who makes every holiday a family party at her house.  She even includes special events, such as the Olympics and the first day of school.  She is a stay at home mom of 5 (!). She creates breakfasts, activities and desserts with these special themes in mind.  I have also been recently turned on to Jamie Schultz's blog This Lunch Rox  (http://thislunchrox.com/).  Jamie makes themed lunches for her kids.  Her lunches are also healthy.  School + Lunch = healthy AND fun???  Who knew this could even be done?!  So inspiring! 

So, with this inspiration, I've decided to up my Mom Game when it comes to dinner during holidays and significant events.  Of course, added to the creative challenge is the healthy challenge!  And it needs to fit into my "full time working mom" life.  But inspiration behold.... it IS possible!  I implemented my first inspirational project on St. Patrick's Day. 

This surprise dinner party featured rainbow veggies (cauliflower) with mashed potato clouds (mashed potatoes made with 2 scoops of unflavored whey protein, cream, and some butter), "gold" a the end of the rainbow (cheese), green eggs and shamrock ham, and a coconut flour rainbow cupcake.   To drink was Shamrock Protein Shake (Click HERE for the recipe).
                      
I also went to the dollar store and bought St. Paddy's Day hats for everyone, made green construction paper place mats, and found some old Mardi Gras beads to put out.  I spent a whole $4.00 on favors and decorations for our dinner party.

For activities, while the girls were at preschool, the leprechauns came and mixed up all kinds of furniture at our house.  They dropped coins along the way.  This was very exciting for the girls to see and of course they loved collecting the coins and putting the money their piggy banks.  (a whole 20 cents!)    We also had a few rainbow color games, as well as dreaming up tales of what those silly leprechauns were doing in our house!

The most exciting part of this for me was the fact that I could still provide a healthy meal for them that was packed with protein and vitamins, with very few processed carbs.  I kept the serving sizes small (something I learned from Jamie's blog This Lunch Rox at http://thislunchrox.com/) and offered a large variety of tastes. To my delight, they ate it ALL!   And really, this was not a difficult or labor intensive meal to make.  I made the cupcakes the night before, but otherwise, the whole thing only took me about 30-45 minutes to put together.    This is definitely a challenge I'm looking forward to rising to the occasion for.  What theme should I do next.....  hmmmm....  I notice Earth Day is coming up in April.....



No comments:

Post a Comment