Thursday, April 21, 2011

He Cares

It's always humbled and amazed me how much God cares about the details of our lives.  He really takes care of even the simplest things!  For me, I've found myself in awe at the details he's provided;  amazing friends at the perfect time, favorite fashions on sale for 90% off when I could never justify paying full or even half price for something new,  free haircuts when I needed one so bad, and perfect weather on important days.  My list can go on and one.  One year ago I found myself feeling desperation over things that I thought he didn't care about; such as my weight and what I was wearing -- how could I afford to pay for a weight loss program (at the time I was even considering surgery) and or justify buying new clothes that would fit me.  But he has continued to provide everything I needed, even in such a silly need as food and clothing on my weight loss journey.  I always thought this verse was for people who couldn't AFFORD to eat.  But my issues had little to do with money and more to do with self obsession.  But he even cares about my weight loss journey.  And why would that surprise me???

Matthew 6:25-32

 25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life[a]?    28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.



HOWEVER!  There's a rub! I'm going to be honest here.  I've always known that God cares about the details of my life.  However, through my Christian walk, it rarely occurred to me that if God cares about what I eat and how I treat my body, Satan also cares about it and will use it to distract you from God.

This was my realization about 9 months ago.  I was desperately trying to loose weight and get healthy, yet I was struggling with the mental part of the journey.  It suddenly occurred to me that I was intentionally being distracted from God with my obsession about what I was eating, drinking, weighing, and how I was looking.  I was letting these things determine my self worth and and provide me with my self esteem instead of seeking my value and worth as a child of God.  Only when I realized Satan's hold on me as it pertained to food and self worship was I able to let go of these strongholds.  My obsession of how I was looking/wanted to look had a huge bondage for me - and I didn't even have a clue about it.  Satan is sneaky -- he'll try to get his hands in you one way or another.  I was living in pride that I wasn't struggling with any "big" sins - until I realized my sin and idolatry of food was present and equal to the other sins in the eyes of God.  I realized I was personally involved in some spiritual warfare that I didn't even really believe in prior to this journey.  But that's another blog -- something I may share at a later date.  If I posted it, I'm pretty sure any readers that stumbled across it would think I was pretty crazy.  =)

Thanks to God, I've been freed from this bondage.  Don't get me wrong -- Satan still attacks me in this way.  It's still a struggle as Satan continues to find my weaknesses as they often pertain to food and my appearance.  However, as tomorrow marks Good Friday and we celebrate the sacrifice that Christ made for us on the cross, we can truly rejoice in the freedom we gained through his loss.   I truly rejoice in the fact that Jesus conquered death and conquered Satan through his sacrifice.  And through this - I am free.

So what am I eating for Easter Dinner?  My meal will consist of a number of delicious items, yet will continue to honor my body as God's temple, as I indulge in things that are wholesome, free of chemicals and other toxins, and will not attack my cells or my blood sugar, or allow Satan in to attack me and provide me with temptation that would he would, no doubt, claim victory in.     My celebration will be focused on my family who is gathering together WHILE we eat, but not a celebration of the food itself.    This, in itself, is a victory for me. 


Easter Menu:
**I'm in the process of posting links, so if it's not yet posted, check back!!!****

Main Dish: 
     Ham with Ham Gravy

Side Dishes: 
     Deviled Eggs

Dessert:
     Lemon Cheesecake   

No comments:

Post a Comment