Thursday, January 6, 2011

Livin the Life

The other day my husband offered me something to eat.  It was processed, so I was able to quickly check the label.  It was full of ingredients I couldn't pronounce and had a ridiculous amount of carbs and a high sugar content in it.  It took me two milliseconds to declare "no thank you" and hand it back without hesitation. 

My husband was completely flabbergasted.   He asked how I could decide "no" so quickly and so definitively.  At first, I was a little annoyed and upset.  I mean, after all, I've been doing this since Oct. 2009!  Then I thought about it.  Suddenly, I felt a rush of pride.  Of success.  Yay me!  My goal has been to feed myself (and my family) a healthy, yet "normal" way, without having them feel deprived or feel that they weren't allowed to live a normal life because of required food choices or lack of food variety.  Apparently, I've been doing a good job.  My kids have overheard my words of eating lean protein and limited carbs (although they still believe whole heartily in their favorite food group.  You know, the "noodle group.") and not eating carbs alone (it spikes your blood sugar) without some protein to balance it out.  They also know there are "high protein treats" (the ones that mommy makes) and "other treats" (the ones that daddy brings home) -- and that mommy prefers everyone to eat the high protein treats (like Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies.)    Anyhow, it's rubbing off on my kids and my husband just hasn't been paying enough attention to notice.  Wonder why?  Hmmm, probably because dinner last night was homemade lasagna, garlic cheesy biscuits, salad, and chocolate cake for dessert.  Now that I think about it, that doesn't sound "no sugar no starch."  And it definitely didn't taste "no sugar no starch." Clearly the man isn't feeling deprived and doesn't know all the fresh healthy goodness that being provided for him.  So that, I think, is a success.  Score one for the No Sugar No Starch Mommy.  Now I just need to educate the Daddy on what he's eating, so he CAN know the fresh goodness in front of him and score some points of his own!

No comments:

Post a Comment