Wednesday, January 19, 2011

LET THEM SCOFF

So....  I'm visiting my family in Michigan and am doing the cooking while I'm here (5 weeks!).    Prior to coming, I invited those who I will be cooking for to eat the way I've been eating if they like, otherwise I was going to be prepared to cook carbs as side dishes for them.  That was my first mistake - asking.  They would have never noticed if I hadn't mentioned it.  Then my second mistake - ordering 2 large containers of coconut oil (for my Chocolate Delight) and having it shipped there, instead of shipped to my home and porting it to Michigan myself.  Oh the mockery that was awaiting me when I got there!  (Seriously, I should have known better.)

As soon as I got there, it began.   The scoffing.  The mockery.  The whining!  Now for anyone who might read this and know my family, there was only one scoffer.  But he's really into intensive scoffing.  It's practically a professional sport to Him.

I didn't get defensive.  I didn't get offended.  I just smiled and laughed inside.  Because I knew that he would love my cooking and only want more.  I was just mad at myself for mentioning it.  Well.....he scoffed.  And scoffed.  And looked over my shoulder and scoffed some more.  "What IS that?"  "Oh, your life must be so BORING now!"  "Of course eating like that will make you loose weight -- it's so disgusting you never want to eat!"  and on and on. 

I just smiled and nodded.  As I was making my Chocolate Delight.  As he was looking over my shoulder and scoffing some more. 

As I made my delectable delights, I didn't say a word.  Eventually they were done and I offered him one.  Well!  It WAS chocolate, right?  He couldn't say no to chocolate.  In fact, I think he was excited to be able to gain more scoffing material.  So he eagerly accepted and popped one of those little delights in his mouth.



Suddenly, his eyes lit up.  "MMMmmm.  Mmmmmmm!  MMMMmmmmmMMMMMM!!!!  What IS that?  It's WONDERFUL!  I mean, It's good.  REALLY REALLY GOOD!"

Yep.  I knew it.  I offered him more and he quickly accepted.  I stopped him there.  FYI, It was only an option for those who refrain from mockery.

He stopped and had to think about that.  What to do???  Surrender the joy of making fun of the health foodie in the house?  Or enjoy the chocolate?  What a dilemma!    He laughed and passed up another chocolate, claiming it was much more fun to mock my new lifestyle.  That was fine by me.  Less to share!

And 10 minutes later I caught him walking around with a handful of my Chocolate Delights!  Well, guess who's scoffing now!

Soon it was dinner.  Beef pot roast, roasted in red wine, beef bullion, and spices.  Then served with mushroom cauliflower "risotto."  Oh he couldn't help himself.  With every bite he exclaimed the deliciousness of it all (especially the cauliflower risotto) and expressed that he had never had anything like it in his life.  And he ate (literally), 2/3 of the dish.

So I've been enjoying the scoffing, because every time he does it, I know he's going to love whatever it is that I make.  So he'll be scoffing, but I'll be laughing --  all the way to a size 4.  Hello size 4 -- I see you out there and I'll be there soon!

***  To see my Chocolate Delight Recipe, CLICK HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment